Thursday, December 12, 2013

Excellent holiday present OR device for improving your child's vocabulary OR tool for preventing inadvertent goat-cheese eating

This is a silly post. Just a filler, I suppose. I am as busy as the rest of you and there’s no time for serious thought, actual research, or clever re-writes. I didn’t want the entire week to go by without some kind of post from me. Nevermind, that I haven’t posted to my other blog in over a month (for shame). Busy time.

I like to keep this blog practical. My other blog is where I do the majority of my musing. Like you, I’m struggling to find perfect presents for everyone on my list, so I must share with you the REALLY FUN item I stumbled upon while tasting chocolate olive oil (Yes chocolate! Amazing on ice cream for the truly decadent soul I’d like to be) at one of my favorite local York shops. This may be old news to those of you who shop as a sport, but for my once-a-year serious attempt at shopping, this was a new discovery.

Wine glass pen markers! These lovely pens came in a pack of three (gold, silver, and green) for just $10. Quite the deal, I must say. They write on glass, china, porcelain, etc. and wash off with simple soap and water. I tried washing the glasses in the dishwasher, but it didn’t really work. You actually have to run a washcloth over them but the marks come off as simply as the package proclaimed.


The packaging suggested you could use these lovelies to mark glasses and mugs at your next party or label the cheese plate so no one eats goat cheese unsuspecting, but I found a better use – improving my children’s vocabulary!

As hubby-dearest and I (My mother-in-law thinks I need to call him something different when I write about him. She says “hubby” makes him sound old and fat! So, for the record, he’s not fat.) were preparing dinner the other night, I decided to test out the markers by writing on each of the kid’s dinner glasses. We delayed dinner by over thirty minutes as we scrambled to come up with adjectives that not only described each child, but that he or she would not know the meaning of without looking it up (or figuring it out as my two Latin scholars were apt to do).

It worked like a charm. My youngest couldn’t even sit through dinner. After his siblings had deciphered what their words meant, he ran across the room to look his up on the ipad.

So, are you smarter than my frighteningly smart and resourceful kids? Here’s the three words –

Vegete
Sansculotte
mystagogue

Bonus points if you know my kids and can figure out which adjective describes which child. I promise the upcoming post with be more useful and in-keeping with the stated purpose of this blog. Happy shopping!

Here are a few more ideas for using the pens I found on the internet! Where have these pens been all my life? (I know, I know, there are other pens that write on glass, but here's the thing - every time I've used them they are IMPOSSIBLY DIFFICULT to remove and some left a permanent shadow of themselves.)


Excellent idea - you could even date these so that when you find them rolling around on the floor of your car you know whether there is any point in trying to clean them or if you might as well throw the whole thing out because the milk will be petrified on by now.
As someone who is decidedly not a goat-cheese fan, I'm all for l labeling the cheese plate please.
Really nice touch - makes giving a bottle of wine a bit more personal.

I also photos of messages written on car windows, house windows, mirrors, etc., but many were not family friendly. Anonymous communication is many times therapeutic.





No comments:

Post a Comment