Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Power of Signs

Signs have power. Did you ever notice that? 

You can tell someone, this is the rule… but until they see it in writing, preferably on a sign, they don’t actually take you seriously. Or maybe that’s just my house. We’re a family of readers (and writers). We like to see things in print.

Some of my kids favorite signs of late include…..

And, even better….

(I place these signs above the toilet at 5:25 AM after the schools auto-robot caller has woken me and crashed my day.)

But I’ve utilized signs to keep the laundry sorted….

The meals eaten….


My daughter uses a sign to keep out the riff-raff….

Sure, I’m mostly kidding, but sometimes putting up a sign is much better than giving an order. I don’t know about you, but when someone tells me to do something, my inner adolescent soul prickles. I don’t want to do it. I’ll probably do it, but I might wait until you’re not looking or until it feels like it’s my idea.

For better or worse, my kids have inherited many of my own quirks. So I’ve learned they respond better to directions in writing than in nag-form. I’ve begun leaving messages for them on their chore chart.


 That way they can quietly do what I’ve asked without ever actually having to hear me say do it. This little strategy generally works for us except for one of my children who seems intent on ignoring me on every possible level.


If you haven’t already experienced the power of the signs, I’d give it a shot. Just for inspiration (and chuckles) here's a few of my favorite- (this first one hangs on our fridge and the kids think we're kidding...)



But for all my big talk, my kids have a habit of ignoring signs......



1 comment:

  1. Signs are really useful. When I have a lot of tasks for a day I also make some signs, and it helps me to cope with everything. But sometimes I let a writer from http://top-essays-uk.com/ help me with my writing papers, and I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete