Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Top Ten Things I want MORE of in 2014

1. Kale, black strap molasses, grapefruit, clams, coconut oil, and eggs. 
But maybe not all together in
the same dish. These are just a few of the super foods I’m reading about lately. Watch for future blogs that will make you want MORE of them too. For example, Kale has magnesium, calcium, Vitamin D, folate, and fiber – five of the twelve essential elements for a balanced mood, sharp brain, and energized body. Eggs have Vitamin B6 and B12,  folate, iodine, magnesium, iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, cholesterol, and omega 3 – all essential elements for a happier self and all found in a free-range chicken egg.

2. Time
I have no idea how I can get more of this, but I’m thinking if I run fewer errands, agree to fewer obligations, and clean my house less (if this is possible), I’ll scrape up a few more minutes.

3. Subscribers, Commentors, Followers
The blog does fairly well averaging 250-300 unique visits per week, but it could do better. I plan to explore those possibilities to increase my subscribers. Somehow I also need to find a way to conquer Blogspot's security system which rarely allows anyone to comment directly on the blog. I’d also like to get A LOT MORE followers on Facebook. Aside from nagging my friends, I’ll try to figure out other ways to increase my likes. And I’m toying with starting a new blog to support my memoir, Cowboy Mom, which I’m currently shopping to agents. I’m still hot and cold on Twitter and Pinterest, but maybe this year I’ll finally figure out what to do with them.


4. Opportunities to share what I know
I really enjoy meeting people and sharing information and encouragement for the organic life. I like giving something back, but the win-win is that I always learn something too. I’ve led workshops and presentations on Affordable Organic Living, Homemade Holiday Ideas, How to Have More Happiness Now, and I’m developing programs on Creative Writing for Teens and Cowboy Parenting: What My Horse Taught Me about Being a Mom. The biggest obstacle to this item is Item #2. Please give me a shout out if you know of any eager audiences.

5. Kids doing for themselves. The whole point of parenting is preparing these kids to take care of themselves. To that end, I’m hoping to give them even more opportunities this year. Two of them can cook and (mostly) clean up their own meals. It’s about time they started doing their own laundry and cutting the grass. They are all very independent and capable, so I’ll look for more ways for them to need me less.

6. Rides on my horses. I love my furry creatures and this year I hope they can spend less time as lawn
ornaments and more time exploring the countryside with me and my friends. That’s an open invitation to come for a ride!

7. Running, hiking, walking if necessary. Much too much lately, I’m letting my regular runs be short changed. Some of it is due to aging – it’s harder to get up early and get outside when it’s COLD. And my knees protest when I run too many days in a row. I’ve got all kinds of excuses for skipping it, many having to do with Item #2, but this year I’m recommitting to getting out there EVERY DAY. I’ll only get old if I let myself get old.

8. Gratitude for the present moment. I am so incredibly blessed. It’s embarrassing. So I resolve to recognize that fact as much as possible on a day-to-day basis. I don’t want to take these days for granted.

9. Friends. I have lots of friends, but I’m greedy – I’ll take more. And the second part of this one is that I’d like to have more time with the friends I have. I want to have deeper connections, more adventures, and lots more glasses of wine on the porch.


10. Books. I will close the laptop, put the phone away, and walk away from the television in favor of
opening a book. I have hundreds of books (literally) waiting to be read. When I close a book, I feel good. When I turn off the TV or phone, I feel guilty for wasting time. That speaks volumes.

What do YOU want more of in 2014?

No comments:

Post a Comment